Saturday, August 15, 2009

Friday's Trip To San Francisco

Some days it seems that a chain of events causes everything to go askew. The day started out nicely and my friend Merry got me to the airport before 1:00 p.m. The flight was scheduled to leave at 2:50 but once I arrived in the boarding area I learned that the plane would be delayed until 3:30. I flew into the Oakland airport and I had one piece of checked luggage so I patiently waited - waited - waited for it to come down the belt. At 5 minutes after 6 p.m. a sign displayed that all luggage had been off loaded so, just as I turned to report that my luggage was lost, my bag suddenly appeared on the belt.

In Oakland rental cars are off-site so I found a bus (with about 30 other travelers) and we headed for the rental offices. There were only three people in line but they still managed to use up almost 45 minutes of time before it was my turn. By the time I got outside, there was only one car in mid-size left and it is a gaudy bright orange Mustang. The color is horrible - in fact I've never seen one like it anywhere. Well, a car is a car so I was on my way to the Bay Bridge toll booths. But - not for awhile because I ended up in stop and go traffic for almost one hour before I get to the booth. The average speed on the bridge was about 30 mph so when I finally reached the Lutz's place it was after 8 p.m.

I've learned a valuable lesson and that is to not fly to San Francisco late on a Friday. August is the peak of tourist season so the City is inundated with tourists and vehicles.

No comments:

Post a Comment