Wednesday, June 3, 2009

MORE New Experiences..................



Today I joined about 15 people with the Oasis Learning Center for a tour of "Studio Concepts, Inc." a business that designs, manufactures and manages parade floats and related festival and event services. The 70,000 square foot facility holds all the floats that are presently being decorated for Saturday's Rose Festival Parade.

We started with a long bus ride to the facility and I managed to ride the bus all the way home without help (quite a feat for me as I've only ridden on a bus once in Portland and I was with a group that took care of me). I'm learning now that the bus is a useful transportation tool and I have bus stops just feet from the Lincoln Tower.

But back to the tour. We had a tour guide who provided in depth information about the steps taken to construct a parade float. Presently the floats only have non -perishable items on them such as grasses, seeds, nut shells, dried herbs, rice and an amazing assortment of natural products. Portland has had higher normal heat the past two weeks (in the low 80s) so the fresh flowers cannot be placed on the floats until at least Thursday and Friday. The parade starts at 10 a.m. Saturday so the volunteers and employees will likely work around the clock. Each float has an artist's rendition of the final product.

I probably won't fight the crowd to view the parade but later Saturday afternoon I'll walk down to Nieto Parkway where the street will be closed so we can view the floats. Today's trip was informative and very interesting so it was a wonderful way to spend the morning.



No comments:

Post a Comment