Saturday, June 7, 2014

Rose Festival Weekend in Portland

The morning started out with the annual Rose parade, close to where we live.  Why don't we go to see it "live" ?  Because............. people put out tents the night before and camp along the sidewalks and we're just too old for that foolishness. Instead, it's easier to just click on the TV and enjoy some coffee and tea while watching.  What I miss is seeing the floats up close as they are decorated pretty much like the Pasadena Rose Parade - using natural grasses, fresh flowers, seeds, herbs and nothing plastic or artificial.  SO - what I'll do tomorrow is take the MAX downtown and walk over to see the floats that will be displayed until mid-afternoon.  Bella gets to go with me and we likely will want to find a sidewalk café for brunch or lunch.  Hopefully, we'll have time to see the finals of the Dragon Boat races down at Riverfront.

Tonight is the naked bike ride that, last year, had 10,000 participants.  I'll let you know if I get to check it out.

The downside of this weekend was learning that repairing my seven year old clothes drier would cost almost $500.  SO - I'm thinking that I can pretty much buy a new one for that price.  Boy was I wrong.  If you haven't shopped for a washer and drier lately, you'll be in for a surprise like I was.  Nowadays, they are a technological marvel and the price matches.  Tomorrow I'm having a washer and drier delivered with so many "bells and whistles" that it will take some time to learn. 

More on Rose Festival weekend, tomorrow..............

No comments:

Post a Comment