Sunday, June 29, 2014

Fresh Basil Pesto with Pistachios............

This morning was my annual ritual of preparing pesto for the freezer.  The basil at the Farmer's Market was gorgeous so I bought five bunches.  After making two batches, I realized that I had enough basil for two more but the pine nuts were gone so I found some shelled pistachios and figured they would be just as good.  I toasted them in the oven and, because they are a hard nut, I put them into the food processor alone to chop them before adding the other ingredients.  The taste is really delicious so I thought that I'd pass this idea on to you.  The pistachios give the pesto a completely different flavor.  I'm thinking of making a pasta dish with the pesto and sprinkling toasted pistachios on top with some fresh grated parmigiano-reggiano.  Sounds good, doesn't it ?

No comments:

Post a Comment