Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Old Town Portland Walking Tour





 After my class this morning, I took the MAX to Portland's "Old Town" - (somewhat like Broadway in S.F. with lots of cafes, nightclubs and strip clubs.)  This is where Portland originated so there's history on every street.  I booked a tour with Portland Walking Tours and it was a great experience - including the chance to see some of the underground tunnels that were used to "Shanghai" men to work on the merchant vessels.  The tour started at Old Town Pizza where we were shown one of the tunnels in the basement.


We walked by Voodoo Doughnuts - the most popular attraction in Portland - and even on a Tuesday afternoon, there was a line of about 20 people waiting to get inside to order.  On weekends the line can be a block or two in length.


We walked down to the river to view a memorial to the Japanese who were interred during WWII.  I had no idea that it was there and it's very impressive.


All in all, this walking tour opened my eyes to another view of Portland.  I continue to learn more and also love living here more...............






No comments:

Post a Comment