Saturday, July 17, 2010

Fresh Basil PESTO..........

Many years ago our friend, Rosanna, introduced us to this "new Italian thing called Pesto". I can remember seeing green pasta for the first time and tasting and loving the delicious flavor. Basil is finally in season here so this morning I picked up two big bunches with some fresh harvested garlic to make my first batch of this season. This recipe is fabulous!

1 cup fresh washed basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan (I used the dry grated Jack from Vella Creamery in Sonoma that I order by mail)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts (lightly toasted in the oven or in a small fry pan)
3 cloves garlic, minced
Sea salt and pepper to taste

Combine the basil in with the pine nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor. Add garlic, pulse a few times more. Slowly add olive oil in a constant stream while the processor is on. Scrape sides with a rubber spatula. Add grated cheese, pulse again. Add salt/pepper.

OK - now a confession - I added more nuts and cheese and a little less olive oil and it tastes great!

No comments:

Post a Comment