Friday, September 20, 2013

Jury Duty in Multnomah County

The past two days I have been occupying my time in a jury waiting room at the downtown Portland Courthouse.  The prospective jurors were all dismissed early on Wednesday but yesterday they started calling names.

I was part of that group so we went to a courtroom and learned that we would be jurors at a criminal trial.  The defendant was accused of ID fraud so I was certain that I would be dismissed but - no - I was one of the "chosen".  The trial was short, taking only the afternoon to hear witnesses so we agreed on a verdict of "guilty" and we were outside by 5:30. 

When I first received the letter calling me to duty I could have recused myself because I'm older than 70 but I truly was curious to compare the justice system here in Oregon to the one in California.  All in all, it was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment