Saturday, July 27, 2013

Fresh Basil Pesto

Today I made an early trek to the Farmer's Market with two goals in mind: (1) Quail eggs and (2) Fresh basil.  I was lucky to buy the last two dozen of the eggs and I found that basil is in its prime this month.  I just made the following recipe from the Food Network and I recommend it !!
  1. 2 cups washed and packed fresh basil leaves
  2. 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
  3. 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (put in 350 degree oven on a flat baking pan and watch carefully.  You might want to toss them around after 5 minutes so they brown evenly.) 
  4. 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
  5. Seasalt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.  I used about 1 tsp salt.
  6. 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
Combine the basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor.  Pulse until coarsely chopped.  Add oil, salt and pepper.  Stir in the cheese and it's ready to use or freeze.

I doubled the recipe and I have nine cupcake holders filled and in the freezer.  As soon as they freeze hard, I'll wrap them in saran and put them back into the freezer.

Pesto can be used on fresh cooked pasta as it is or sometimes I add some cream and more cheese for a creamy pesto sauce.

I still remember way back (at least 45 years) when Rosanna and I became friends and she introduced us to pesto.  This was way before it became a popular food item in the U.S. so we were greatly impressed with such a unique and delicious idea.  Thanks, Rosanna, for exposing us to an authentic Italian delicacy !!

No comments:

Post a Comment