Friday, March 11, 2016

Besaw's in Portland - Then and NOW............

I just enjoyed the best huevos rancheros EVER........  Besaw's started out early in the 1900s and originally was housed in a turn of the century building with lots of wood and interesting vintage decor.  The place was busy ALL the time, but generally it was worth the wait (unless it was two hours or more).

Now it's changed.  Due to some politics regarding the restaurant's building owner, this icon in Portland was forced to leave the building and relocate.  The best comparison that I can make is that originally it was like visiting a country cousin who lived a very simple life but ate, incredibly well.  Now, it's more like the cousin won the lottery and established an edgy upscale environment - still as busy, but now in an ultra modern setting. 

The only seat available at 10 a.m. was in the bar or at a seat at the bar so this was my view from my table.  My waitress appeared to be inexperienced but the manager quickly noticed that I didn't have water or coffee and she stepped in immediately to make things right.  Once she intervened, service was GREAT.

I am looking forward to my next visit and there's no doubt that my order will be the same.  Oh, wait.............. they have a bacon wrapped meatloaf, on a homemade biscuit covered with sausage gravy and served with a roasted poblano.  Maybe that will be my next order..........................

No comments:

Post a Comment