Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday Breakfast Fresh Berry Dutch Babies

Roger looks forward to weekend breakfasts because I like to fix something special.  Today we had a "German Pancake" or "Dutch Baby", known by both names.

I want to share the recipe because it is so EASY and so delicious.






The ingredients are:
1 cup flour
4 eggs
1 cup milk (I added a couple of tablespoons of cream)
dash of salt

Using a hand mixer, beat everything together until frothy.  Meanwhile heat your oven to 400 degrees and put two pie plates in the oven (empty).  After about 10 minutes, pull out the hot pans and put about 2 tablespoons of butter in each.  As soon as the butter melts, pour half of the mixture into each pan.  Any fresh fruit can be used.  Today we had some fresh ripe blackberries so I put a hand full over the egg mixture and then sprinkled just a little granulated sugar and some cinnamon on the top.  Bake in the oven about 20 minutes and eat with powdered sugar and maple or agave syrup.  

What's neat about this recipe is that different fruit makes it a brand new dish.  Examples are thin sliced apples with some raisins, fresh sliced peaches and/or apricots, blueberries with lemon zest or sauteed and sugared rhubarb.  The possibilities are endless.

My mother often said "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach".  I think that she had the right idea.....................

(This basic recipe is from Martha Stewart but I've added my own little "twist")

No comments:

Post a Comment