Monday, April 22, 2013

A Day For Exploration............

Yesterday, while Roger was working on a new painting, Bella and I went for a drive to Vancouver WA.  It's only a ten mile drive from Portland and I always love driving over the long bridge that crosses the Columbia River and divides Oregon from Washington  I spent some time driving through the city center, found a weekend Farmer's Market and had brunch at "Grays at the Park".  Vancouver is a lovely community and it has some interesting history. 

My next goal was to explore Sauvie Island.  I heard that it was where most of the local produce was grown but I knew nothing about the island.  It's a much larger area than I expected so I drove for about an hour and then had my navigation system guide me back to the main road.  The island is bordered by the Columbia River on one side and the Wilamette River on the other.  Driving through the area reminded me of driving trips that I've taken in the California Delta area.  The farms are beautiful with large orchards and vineyards and many of the fields have already been planted for the growing season.  It will be fun to return when some of the farms open up the fields for "pick your own" fruit and produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment