Tuesday, August 30, 2016

1st Anniversary and 76th Birthday

We had  a great time; first celebrating our first wedding anniversary and then my 76th birthday at the coast in Astoria, Oregon.  Sunday we drove to Astoria and we stayed at the Elliott Hotel, downtown.  We won't stay there again (but that's another story).  Roger and I both believe in "making do", when we have to, so we were determined to overlook some of the hotel's deficiencies.  The good news is that we found a "drop dead gorgeous" hotel right on the Columbia River that offers reduced winter rates so we're already excited about returning. It's the Cannery Pier Hotel & Spa.  It was chosen as Sunset Magazine's "Top 25 hotels in the West".

We enjoyed our anniversary dinner at the Bridgewater Restaurant that overlooks the Columbia River.  Seafood is "king" there so Roger enjoyed a halibut dish and I had cioppino.


Monday, the drive over the Astoria-Megler Bridge to Washington State was exciting because it was Roger's first time and we both enjoyed touring the coast of Washington.  There is so much history there that we're still learning.  My goal this coming year is to find a class at PSU that teaches Oregon and Washington history.  They generally offer it on one of the semesters so I'll keep an eye out for it.

It's easy to walk through the Astoria downtown area and there are cute shops, cafes, and galleries so there was plenty to do.

Of course, there was also time for napping, reading, and just being lazy.




Our second night we just walked across the street to T Paul's Supper Club to celebrate my birthday.



Roger doesn't believe in Hallmark so he surprised me with a beautiful handmade card that included a sketched portrait.  I learned that he spent several nights after I went to bed, creating it.


Then, the final part of the celebration was to learn that we had a special delivery waiting for us when we got home this afternoon.  Thanks to the Smiths for the thoughtful gift - - and - - an extremely delicious gift.  I couldn't resist the heart shaped piece of pineapple, half dipped in chocolate ............ oh, my .....................  Now, Roger and I are already looking forward to having more for dessert.

Yes, we're back to "normal" but that's good, too ........................









No comments:

Post a Comment