Saturday, July 9, 2016

Time for FRESH MADE BASIL PESTO ...........

This morning I made an early start to the Portland Farmer's Market and I was delighted to find the first of the basil this season.  (Here, in Oregon, fruit and vegetables ripen more slowly so they're in season later than what I experienced in California).  Two huge bunches are already washed and stemmed so the food processor will be rumbling soon.

Here's a basic recipe that I've used for years:

4 cups fresh basil, washed and stems removed (pack tightly into a measuring cup)
1 cup freshly grated Parmessan or Romano
1 cup extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup lightly toasted pine nuts or finely chopped toasted walnuts (sometimes I divide a batch of pesto, using pine nuts in one and walnuts in the other).
6 cloves garlic (or more) minced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Combine the basil with the nuts, pulse until well chopped - add garlic and pulse again.
Slowly add the olive oil while the food processor is running.  Stop to scrape down the sides and add the grated cheese.  Blend all and add salt and pepper to taste.

Line muffin pan with cupcake liners (I like the heavier aluminum foil ones) and fill each to the top.  Put into freezer while still in the pan and freeze until firm.  Remove each cup from the pan and wrap tightly with plastic wrap.  Throw into a large baggie and store them in the freezer until you're ready to use.

(I can't credit anyone in particular with this recipe because it's a conglomeration of several with a few touches of my own, added.  It's basic and I know that you'll love it as much as we do!)

No comments:

Post a Comment